Welcome to the University of Toronto English Language Program. For accessibility reasons, the following hot keys can be used on this website.

Using access keys varies depending on the browser you use. On the Windows operating system, using Internet Explorer, the ALT key is the trigger, then press the number associated with what section you want to get to (ie. Programs would be [ALT + 2]).

  1. Accessibility Features
  2. Home
  3. Programs
  4. About Us
  5. Registration
  6. Contact Us
  7. Search
  8. Student Login
  9. Link to Home
Font Changer
Access Toggle

School of Continuing Studies | University of Toronto

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I apply? Is there a deadline?

Due to small class sizes, many courses fill quickly. We recommend that you apply well in advance of the deadline. If spaces are available, we will accept students into the program until the day classes begin. If a course is full, students may be placed on a waiting list.

Will English Language Program courses get me admitted to the University of Toronto as a degree student?

The University of Toronto will always look at your high school and university grades when making a decision about admission. If your academic qualifications meet University requirements, but you do not have adequate English proficiency, then the English Language Program’s Academic English course can help you satisfy the language-facility requirement. At the University of Toronto, undergraduate and most graduate courses require a final “Grade B” in Academic English Level 60 to satisfy the English language-facility requirements. Please note: Each graduate studies program has its own admission requirements. Students are advised to contact individual departments for specific admission details.

Is there an English test for getting into the University of Toronto?

There is no single test. International students must demonstrate a high level of English proficiency in order to be admitted to the University of Toronto. Please visit the University of Toronto Enrolment Services web page to find out if you meet the English language-facility requirements. The English Language Program’s Academic English course can help you meet the University’s language-facility requirements for English. It will also help you prepare for university studies. “Grade B” or above in Academic English Level 60 satisfies the language-facility requirement for admission to undergraduate and most graduate programs at the University of Toronto. Students are advised to contact their faculty for more information on specific English-language requirements.

Do I need a test or transcript to take courses at the English Language Program?

No. Anyone 18 years of age or older may enrol in our English Language Program courses. When you first arrive, you will be required to take a placement test. Your test scores will determine which classes can best serve your learning goals.

Will I obtain a refund if I choose to cancel my registration? What is your refund policy?

You may be eligible for a tuition-fee refund. All refund requests must be made in writing. Please refer to our Registration Policies for refund deadlines. If Citizenship and Immigration Canada denies your application, you must immediately contact us in writing. To issue a full refund of course tuition and health fees, we must receive your written request for withdrawal along with the original letter refusing entry that was issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The University of Toronto must receive both documents before the first day of class in order to provide a refund. Please see our Registration Policies.

Will I need to purchase health or medical insurance?

Yes. Please see our Health Insurance and Services page.

Will I need to buy textbooks?

No. All classroom materials are included in the tuition fee. There are no additional required textbook costs once you pay your registration fees.

Do you offer any scholarships or financial assistance?

No. Financial assistance is not available for students enrolled in the English Language Program. We make every effort to keep costs low. Fees are the same for all students.

How much will it cost to study at the English Language Program and live in Toronto?

Please refer to the Dates and Fees and Living Costs information for complete details.

I have six months to study English. What should I do?

We recognize that everyone comes to the English Language Program with different goals and different skill levels. That is why there are many paths for learning. Each one is designed to address a student’s personal needs. The first step to making the right decision is to ask: Why do you want to study English? Is it to prepare for university, or to expand your career goals? Contact us for advice. If you are already in Canada, the University of Toronto’s English Language Program offers a free, personal consultation with one of our counsellors. A personal consultation provides an opportunity for you to discuss your language, career and academic goals. Our counsellor can provide guidance on the appropriate course or program for your needs.

Do I need a study permit or a visa to study at the English Language Program?

Please refer to our Visas and Study Permits page for complete information.

May I start a course late?

We strongly discourage starting courses late. Classes are carefully designed to take full advantage of the scheduled time for the course. If you cannot arrive on time, you must contact us before the course begins. Please also note that there is a placement test on the first day of class. If you miss this, you will only be accepted into the course if there is space available at the appropriate level. For more information, please refer to our Late Arrivals Policy in our Registration Policies.

Is there an application fee?

No. There is no application fee for the English Language Program or other School of Continuing Studies courses.

I want to study English. When does the course begin?

Courses are offered year-round. You can choose a course based on your schedule. See Dates and Fees.

Where will I live while I am studying in the English Language Program?

Please see our Accommodation page for details on housing options.

What level class will I attend?

Your language proficiency will be tested on the first day of class. You will then be placed in the appropriate level based on the result.

May I work while I am a student in your program?

It is extremely unlikely that you are eligible to work while studying in the English Language Program. For more information about student work permits, please visit the Citizenship Immigration Canada website. International students may be eligible to work in Canada after they complete their university-degree studies.

May I observe a class?

Visitors can be disruptive in a class. Under limited circumstances, you may be able to observe a class. Please contact us for information.

May I register now for a class that starts next term?

Yes. We recommend that you register for a course as soon as possible. It can be a time-consuming process to obtain a Study Permit because medical clearance may be required. Be sure to apply for a Study Permit immediately after you receive a Confirmation Letter of Acceptance and a receipt proving admission to our program.

How may I pay for my course?

There are four methods of payment:

  • VISA
  • Mastercard
  • American Express
  • Bank money order (also known as a “bank-certified cheque”)

Please note: Personal cheques or cash, and wire or bank transfers are not accepted.