Welcome to the University of Toronto English Language Program. For accessibility reasons, the following hot keys can be used on this website.

Using access keys varies depending on the browser you use. On the Windows operating system, using Internet Explorer, the ALT key is the trigger, then press the number associated with what section you want to get to (ie. Programs would be [ALT + 2]).

  1. Accessibility Features
  2. Home
  3. Programs
  4. About Us
  5. Registration
  6. Contact Us
  7. Search
  8. Student Login
  9. Link to Home
Font Changer
Access Toggle

School of Continuing Studies | University of Toronto

Frequently Asked Questions


When is the deadline to apply for a full-time ELP course?

Due to small class sizes, many courses fill quickly. We recommend that you apply well in advance of the deadline. If spaces are available, we will accept students into the program until the day classes begin. If a course is full, students may be placed on a waiting list.

Will English Language Program courses get me admitted to the University of Toronto as a degree student?

The University of Toronto will always look at your high school and university grades when making a decision about admission. If your academic qualifications meet University requirements, but you do not have adequate English proficiency, then the English Language Program’s Academic English course can help you satisfy the language-facility requirement. At the University of Toronto, undergraduate and most graduate courses require a final “Grade B” in Academic English Level 60 to satisfy the English language-facility requirements. Please note: Each graduate studies program has its own admission requirements. Students are advised to contact individual departments for specific admission details.

Is there a required English test for getting into the University of Toronto?

There is no single test. International students must demonstrate a high level of English proficiency in order to be admitted to the University of Toronto. Please visit the University of Toronto Enrolment Services web page to find out if you meet the English language-facility requirements. The English Language Program’s Academic English course can help you meet the University’s language-facility requirements for English. It will also help you prepare for university studies. “Grade B” or above in Academic English Level 60 satisfies the language-facility requirement for admission to undergraduate and most graduate programs at the University of Toronto. Students are advised to contact their faculty for more information on specific English-language requirements.

Do I need a test or transcript to take courses at the English Language Program?

No. Anyone 17 years of age or older may enrol in our English Language Program courses. When you first arrive, you will be required to take a placement test. Your test scores will determine which classes can best serve your learning goals.

Is there a minimum age?

Yes. Anyone 17 years of age or older may enrol in our English Language Program courses.

Students aged 17

Even if you do not require a Visa/Study Permit to attend our program we strongly suggest that all students who are minors (aged under 18 in Ontario) have a Custodian if they are traveling alone (without their parents or another adult escort or chaperone who will act ‘in loco parentis’). The Custodian must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and over 19 years old.

To arrange for someone to become your legal Custodian, you will need to complete a custodianship form.

This form must be:
• Notarized by your parents/legal guardians from your home country
• Notarized by your Canadian custodian
• Valid for the length of time that you’ll be living in Ontario under the age of 18

This documentation may be required by a Canadian immigration officer. If you are aged between the age of 17 and 18, it is at the discretion of the immigration officer to require or waive the custodianship requirement.

For additional information about custodianship, please contact the Canadian visa office in your home country, or speak with a Citizenship and Immigration Canada representative.

The English Language Program does not provide custodianship services – you must find a custodian yourself. There are a number of organizations that offer custodianship services.

One of our homestay providers, Canada Homestay Network, can provide custodianship for students staying in their homestay accommodation.

Will I obtain a refund if I choose to cancel my registration? What is your refund policy?

You may be eligible for a tuition-fee refund. All refund requests must be made in writing. Please refer to our Registration Policies for refund deadlines. If Citizenship and Immigration Canada denies your application, you must immediately contact us in writing. To issue a full refund of course tuition and health fees, we must receive your written request for withdrawal along with the original letter refusing entry that was issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The University of Toronto must receive both documents before the first day of class in order to provide a refund. Please see our Registration Policies.

Will I need to purchase health or medical insurance?

Yes. Please see our Health Insurance and Services page.

Will I need to buy textbooks?

No. All classroom materials are included in the tuition fee. There are no additional required textbook costs once you pay your registration fees.

Do you offer any scholarships or financial assistance?

No. Financial assistance is not available for students enrolled in the English Language Program. We make every effort to keep costs low. Fees are the same for all students.

How much will it cost to study at the English Language Program and live in Toronto?

Please refer to the Dates and Fees and Living Costs information for complete details.

Can I speak with an advisor about my full-time English Language Program study plan?

Everyone comes to the English Language Program with different goals and language levels. Ask yourself: Why do I want to study English? Is it to prepare for university, to communicate with friends or to develop a career? Contact us if you are not sure which course is right for you and we can help.

How does your full-time Academic English course differ from other courses offered in Toronto?

The Academic English course has a curriculum that reflects the current best practices in English for Academic Purposes. The program takes a theme-based integrated skills approach using authentic texts. You will engage in academic tasks and project-based learning that develop your ability to express yourselves and successfully interact in a university setting. Through the university’s on-line learning portal, you will have access to texts, resources, and materials so that you can extend your learning beyond the classroom. You will also have access to the University’s extensive library system.

Do I need a visa and study permit to take a full-time English Language Program course?

Please refer to our Visas and Study Permits page for complete information.

Can I start a course late – after the registration deadline?

To benefit fully from our course and orientation activities, we highly recommend you arrive for Day One of the course. If you cannot arrive on time, you must contact us before the course begins. There is a placement test on the first day of classes. If you miss this, you will only be accepted into the course if there is space available at the appropriate level. For more information, please refer to our Late Arrivals Policy in our Registration Policies.

Is there an application fee?

No. There is no application fee for the English Language Program or other School of Continuing Studies courses.

I want to study English. When does the course begin?

Courses are offered year-round. You can choose a course based on your schedule. See Dates and Fees.

Where will I live while I am studying in the English Language Program?

Please see our Accommodation page for details on housing options.

What level class will I attend?

Your language proficiency will be tested on the first day of class. You will then be placed in the appropriate level based on the result.

Can I work while taking full-time ELP courses

It is extremely unlikely that you are eligible to work while studying in the English Language Program. For more information about student work permits, please visit the Citizenship Immigration Canada website. International students may be eligible to work in Canada during and after university-degree studies.

Can I observe a class?

In order to minimize disruption to classes for the benefit of our students, we don’t usually allow class observation. However, please contact us to enquire about this.

Can I register now for a class that starts next term?

Yes. We recommend that you register for a course as soon as possible. You may require a Visa and Study Permit. It can be a time-consuming process and medical checks may be required. We recommend you start the process as soon as you receive the Confirmation Letter of Acceptance and receipt proving admission to our program.

How do I pay for my course?

There are four methods of payment:

  • VISA
  • Mastercard
  • American Express
  • Bank money order (also known as a “bank-certified cheque”)

Please note: Personal cheques or cash, and wire or bank transfers are not accepted.