Welcome to the University of Toronto English Language Program. For accessibility reasons, the following hot keys can be used on this website.

Using access keys varies depending on the browser you use. On the Windows operating system, using Internet Explorer, the ALT key is the trigger, then press the number associated with what section you want to get to (ie. Programs would be [ALT + 2]).

  1. Accessibility Features
  2. Home
  3. Programs
  4. About Us
  5. Registration
  6. Contact Us
  7. Search
  8. Student Login
  9. Link to Home
Font Changer
Access Toggle

School of Continuing Studies | University of Toronto

Visas and Study Permits

Canada is known for its educational excellence, and it is a popular destination for international students who want to study abroad. Residents from many countries are able to study in Canada for up to six months without a visa or permit. Visitors from some countries require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada. To learn about the visa requirements for your country, please visit the Canadian Office that administers visas for your country. The Centre for International Experience also has some useful information about entry visas. If you plan to stay in Canada longer than six months, you need to obtain a Study Permit. For more information on a Study Permit application, please visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The Centre for International Experience also offers useful background about study permits. Please note: It is your responsibility to arrange the correct visas and permits in order to study in Canada by following the application procedures set by Citizenship and Immigration Canada in your country.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a study permit?

Upon successful registration in the English Language Program, the University of Toronto will send you a student information package that includes: Course details, an Official receipt and a Confirmation of Acceptance letter. To apply for a Study Permit, you may be required to provide an official receipt and Confirmation of Acceptance letter to a Canadian embassy. The Centre for International Experience offers information about study permits.

How long does it take to obtain a Study Permit?

Some countries have long waiting lists to process Study Permit applications. We advise you to contact the Canadian embassy or visa-processing centre as soon as possible once you decide to apply. It typically takes at least three months to obtain a Study Permit. In some cases, a medical examination may be required. Citizenship and Immigration Canada provides information about estimated processing times.

What if I am refused entry or I do not obtain my Study Permit in time for the course?

If Citizenship and Immigration Canada denies your application, please contact us immediately in writing. To issue a full refund of course tuition and health fees, we must receive your written request for withdrawal and the original letter refusing entry that was issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The University of Toronto must receive both documents before the first day of class in order to provide a refund. Please see our Registration Policies regarding refunds.

Can you help me extend my visa once I arrive in Toronto?

Yes. Our student-services team is dedicated to helping you realize your full learning potential. We can help you with your application to extend a permit, to apply for a new visa, or to change your status while studying at the English Language Program. The Centre for International Experience can provide guidance on how to renew your study permit. Contact us to schedule a one-on-one meeting. We’re happy to answer all of your questions.